Thursday, May 23, 2013


Treasure Hunt Find


Thank you for stopping by our blog! Subscribe to our Free Newsletter for more Recipes, Tips, Coupons and more!
I love to treasure hunt thrift stores and estate sales weekly! Last Saturday I stopped Thrift shops all day on my five hour drive back home. It is a fun and very profitable hobby. I found so much that my car was loaded down. No kidding! I had my suitcase but all of the other things were items that I sell online.

Many of you know that I collect cookbooks. Yesterday I found this one for .20 cents. I love it. A taste of the Outer Banks!

This book has some awesome recipes. I plan to share some in the next coming weeks with pictures.
Today I wanted to share one that I found in this book. The first section of recipes feature local Restaurants.
I will be making my favorite, She Crab Soup. I had this soup for the first time in Virginia Beach with my children. We had fun on that trip. It was spring break for the kids. Yummy! They make it even better at the OuterBanks!  Today I wanted to share a yummy recipe for a southern favorite, HushPuppies. 

You know the Southern story is that our ancestors were cooking cornbread on the open fire and fed some  to their puppies to hush them up! That is how they came up with name, Hushpuppy! Sounds true to me. I know that my grandmother Katie fed her dogs food from the table. She had  her own chickens. I remember seeing her break their neck and pluck, and prepare to cook the most awesome fried chicken I have ever had. She use to cook for her big family on Sunday's. I miss those traditions. 

Getting back to the cookbook...... Owen's Restaurant in Nags Head is the flagship of the Outerbanks. Still owned by the family since 1946.


This recipe was created by Clara M. Owens, who with her husband, Bob, opened a hot dog stand in Manteo in 1933, and in 1946, founded Owen's Restaurant at its present location

HUSHPUPPIES

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup water
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. baking Powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp sugar
Beat well and drop in cooking oil. I use coconut oil because I feel that it is better for me. (You can buy coconut oil on amazon and the link is below. You can also get it at Walmart in the aisle where you buy crisco. I do not use crisco because it is not good for me.) Be sure to have about 2 inches of hot oil in your iron skillet or deep fryer.
My sweet friend, Mattie McLawhorn taught me a tip many, many years ago. It was to dip your spoon in a cup of water before spooning in your batter. It works and the batter drops off easily and it does not stick. Thank So much for that tip that I have used many times through the years. You taught me more than you will ever know about cooking.

Enjoy! Please subscribe to my newsletter with the link above. I share recipes and coupons along with other free offers that I offer only to my regular subscribers.
Have a very blessed day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment