Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sausage Balls with Dipping sauce for your Super Bowl Party

Thank you for stopping by A Taste of the South! Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter for more recipes like this, secret tips, coupons, and more! I love sausage balls and I make these when we have family gatherings because my children, as well as my sister and her husband love them! I do too. I like to make these up in large batches and freeze them. I enjoy heating up a few for a quick breakfast. They are so rich that you only need a few! While there are so many versions of the recipe, I find that I love the one on the Bisquick box which is also close to Paula Deen's version. She has a dip recipe that I made at Christmas. It is just another yummy added touch that makes them special for the holiday or a special event. How about making these for your Super Bowl Party!

Thank you for supporting our blog! 


Sausage Balls
4 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese

3 cups Bisquick baking mix

1 1-pound package Hot ground sausage 

1 teaspoon Paprika  



Dip:

1 tablespoon stone ground gourmet mustard

1 cup mayonnaise

Preheat your oven to 375degrees. There are three ways I have made these and they basically turn out the same each time. You can use a food processor, your mixer or your hands. I always use gloves. I keep disposable gloves in my kitchen.  I don't like getting my hands messy.
 The key to a good sausage ball is to use raw sausage. There is no need to cook the sausage before mixing. If you do this you will have a very dry sausage ball. I have pictures from making these at Thanksgiving  where I used gloves, but the pictures featured below are from Christmas. I used the mixer for this batch.

Throw in the sausage. I use hot sausage because it gives them the perfect flavor. Just a touch of heat. The paprika is for garnish.



Measure out the Bisquick. I always spoon the flour into the measuring cup.



Once you have the exact amount in a bowl you can scoop in the flour gradually on low speed.


-
Mix in the cheese.



After all ingredients are mixed together you can begin to form 1 inch balls.  Gloves are a must. The mixture will be a little crumbly. Be sure to spray your cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray. I don't like large sausage balls. Shoot for making them the size of a walnut. Trust me, they will taste better.


This recipe makes about 6 to 7dozen balls depending on the size. Sprinkle paprika on top of the balls with the tips of your fingers. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.




They are so yummy when they first come out of the oven. I like to store them flat by wrapping them in waxed paper and then wrapped by a layer of foil. Place in a Ziploc freezer bag. They will keep for a long time and you can pull them out and re-heat for unexpected guest or a yummy snack.



The dip is very good. It is easy to make. Just mix the mayo and ground mustard with a whisk and serve. I enjoyed using the leftover dip on sandwiches. It is very yummy! Enjoy!


Don't have a Trader Joe's near you? Good news! You can now shop Trader Joe's grocery items on the web:

No comments:

Post a Comment